Friday, March 30, 2012

Playing the Front Nine - written by The Cowboy

A few weeks back in a post I had done for our Blog I mentioned that I was relating this experience to the game of golf.
P1020369
I can hear some of my instructor’s words now:
“Don’t swing to hit the ball - Play through the ball” he stressed.
“Picture the entire flight of that ball rising high over the fairway and coming to land on the green near the pin for a short putt in to score. BE THE BALL”.
DSC_0100
Well that was how I started out. Not looking at the Cancer but looking through and past the Cancer to the other side. What I wasn’t prepared for in this game is that the Cancer sometimes makes me the Ball.
Golf1
At times I am the one that gets hit and flies off into the rough. (Cancer is not a very good golfer). It sometimes has me riding right out there in the middle of the fairway, then a crappy swing and I am in the rough again.
P1150614
As in Golf everyone plays their own game. Everyone will approach a course with a different stride, swing, club and ball.
Golf is said to be the GREATEST Game ever played. Just like life, it can never be won or lost. It can only be played.
You are competing against yourself and testing every fiber of your moral integrity.
golf2
Cancer is not a lot different. Everyone’s game will be different. The course you are playing is ever changing. You have to pull from the person you truly are if you are going to complete the game. Just like in golf it is easy to not put everything you have into each hole. What you failed to do on hole two may come up to bite you on hole five. You must pay attention to each detail as the game is unfolding and act accordingly. You have to be honest with your score card and if you had a bad hole mark it down, take your lumps and then plan for a better next hole.
golf3
As in Golf the “Golf Gods” always give you that one great hole, or that one great drive that will keep you coming back and so will the Cancer. Take those days that are good and tuck them into you game bag to be pulled out on the days that life has you in the bunker.
As in Golf self honesty is of the utmost importance, just like Cancer. Yes I have had some rough days and yes I will have some more before this round has ended. Am I disheartened by my performance on the course? No you see I am just a “Duffer” and my skills improve every day.
I’ll keep you posted as we approach the back nine.
Thanks for being my caddy today.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, David. I am astounded by the way you and Sherry have taken the battle to the enemy, and I have no doubt that you will be the victors.

    "Playing the Front Nine" is something you MUST share with the hospital so that other cancer patients can learn from your strength and wisdom. You are a remarkable man and Sherry is a remarkable woman.

    Just as Sherry shared the letter from the doctor that stands as encouragement to all who seek treatment, you must share your words.

    I don't know of two more courageous people who have joined hands together to face this disease the way you have.

    I will follow your progress, and though we may never meet in person, I will rejoice with you when you win your battle.

    You are an inspiration to all--I've said it before, but I can't say it enough. You and Sherry are a wonderful example of how soul mates hold hands through life's peaks and valleys.

    Thank you for this post, tonight. I believe it will help many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, how stupid of me, Ron and Sharon. I signed off and a light went off! My brain is aging as fast as my body, I'm afraid. I don't see any way to trash and correct.

    There is another couple (David and Sherry) from "The Direction of our Dreams" (Gosh, I hope I have their name's right) fighting the battle and I had a brain cramp. They remind me a lot of the two of you the way they have approached the diagnosis of cancer.

    I certainly hope they read your piece, Ron. I apologize for such a dumb blunder--that's me, though. I stumble through life with my foot in my mouth. My heart, however, was in the right place and I meant every word I said. I hope you will forgive me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful and insightful post, Ron. I agree with hobopals, you need to share this post with your doctors. Someone else who is playing their own front nine may find great encouragement from this. GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My, this is an awesome post! It is an encouragement to me and I don't have cancer. Any one can apply this to any battle they are facing. This is good stuff!!! I agree with everyone else. Share this with the staff!!!
    Lords Blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is an interesting journey and we each have a different path to walk.

    "It is the journey that gives us happiness, not the destination"

    Enjoy what you experience, smell the roses or appreciate the beauty of a sunset. And if you are in Texas as much as I hate to admit it, the smell of a good steak cooking on the grille...lol.

    Someone shared this with me and I will close by sharing it as well...
    "Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humour, and Change.

    - Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.

    - Humor: Keep a sense of humour, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure

    - Change: Know that nothing stays the same

    Be strong, lean on each other and fight the good fight.
    Luv ya Ron,
    KLM

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was wonderful to read, "Cowboy". :) I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and your sweet wife today. You have a wonderful attitude and are inspiring so many with your words here on your blog. You are a delight and I wish you the best! -Kelley (from MDACC)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post Dad! Some days you are the club and some days you are the ball! Some days you are the dog and some days you are the fire hydrant! Keep on swinging Cowboy...I love you.

    ReplyDelete