Friday, March 2, 2012

The Cowboy’s View

M.D. Anderson, WHAT a place! I guess all I can compare it to is when London built their new Cancer center. I thought it was huge. M. D.’s parking garage is bigger than London’s whole hospital. It would be like comparing McDonalds to the Waldorf. Normally a place this big would make me “Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs” but everyone of these professionals make you feel like you are a brother or sister with a problem and they have a genuine concern for you.

P1170568In the past three days I have been poked, probed, and prodded by not less than Ten Doctors and at least eight technicians. They have done more tests on me than I have had in all the rest of my life. I have had CT scans, Internal Videos, Barium swallows, X-rays, Scopes, blood tests and the list still goes on. These people are thorough. Tomorrow, Thursday there will be a 40 member team made up from every field Surgeons, Speech Therapists, Dentists, Radiologists, Oncologists, Dieticians, Physiatrists and the list goes on. They will all sit and talk about the many test results and come up with the best approach to treating me.

P1170522

All this has happened over the past three days and it seems like weeks. By Friday “The Team” will have a plan in place. What it sounds like so far is that they want to save my GOLDEN voice, so I can continue to share the pearls of wisdom with the world. In order to do that, some of them have been leaning towards Spot Radiation over a six week program. I guess I am not going to be feeling very good for that six weeks because radiation does some stuff to you but once I come out the other side I will be the same “Jolly, knowledgeable little gem” I have always been. Since I am in Texas they gave me a choice “You can either go cry in the truck or Cowboy up” !

The Princess and I just can’t get over how things out of our control have been preparing us for this part of our life. We live in our motorhome and are totally mobile. Many we see coming and going daily are from far away, staying in hotels, renting cars, eating nothing but restaurant food, living out of a suitcase and spending money like water.

P1170503We are retired and have no fixed schedule to worry about like others with jobs, homes to maintain, payments that need to be made and wandering among strangers for weeks at a time with no one to divert your attention from the problems you are having. In a campground you are always surrounded by happy people having relaxed enjoyable times. The fact that I turned 65 last year and got on Medicare that is paying the thousands of dollars this is costing without it costing us a dime. You just can’t buy this amount of treatment unless you have very very deep pockets.

Days have seemed like weeks to both of us. There is so much going on every day and it seems we may not be staying in contact with each of you but some days we are just exhausted and have taken in so much information it becomes a blur. Please excuse us if we bother you too much. Please excuse us if we haven’t called to update you recently. It brings back to mind an old book “I’m dancing as fast as I can”.

P1170545

That’s about how we feel. So for now I sign off.

When in doubt, let your horse do the thinkin'.

Happy Trails to You, Until we meet again.

Ending Note: This was written a couple of days ago but not posted until today – Friday; we are still waiting to hear officially but it looks like radiation treatment (only) at this point.

7 comments:

  1. So thankful you have such caring medical staff. The Lord truly is going before you in this time in your life. You do what you need to do, Focus on your treatments and the Lord, we will be here when you feel like posting, praying for you while you are receiving your treatments.
    ~Betty and joe
    joeandbetty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to hear that things are going well with you. It's nice that you have the RV, as you say. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing you need to worry about right now is your health and getting well and strong again. If you feel up to it, please let us know how it's going. Lots of prayers for you and your doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cowboy you have a great attitude and outlook and that is half the battle. Another blogger I follow is just completing six weeks of radiation this week and she came through with very few problems. I'm praying that it will be the same for you. And don't worry too much about keeping up with us'ins out in blogville, we'll be here waiting when you get the time. Just focus on getting back to 100%. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to you all. Princess and I really appreciate your comments. I am hoping to get through this in record time and come-out a 100%. Princess is hoping about 85%. She says I can be a bit much when I am feeling "Spunking". Hope to get to see you all "Down Road"
    Happy Trails to You.
    Cowboy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading this really made me grateful for your RV lifestyle. It has allowed you to be exactly where u need to be and I guess I'm even grateful that Dad got some American benefits (even though he is a Canadian cowboy born and raised on these backroads!) I love the cowboyism "When in doubt - let your horse do the thinking" Daddy...can I have a pony? Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad all is going well.Will be thinking of you this week hugs vic & Jay

    ReplyDelete