Saturday, September 10, 2011

Extravaganza!

DSC_0060

Early morning dew hanging in the air as anxious shoppers stand in line at 7:45 AM waiting for the doors to open to the annual Extravaganza.

What was I doing there? I’m not sure either but I found myself in line just like everyone else until I found it would be another hour and fifteen minutes before the doors opened . . . then I turned around to see the people behind me and knew I wasn’t leaving my spot now!

DSC_0063

Each year the Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital Volunteers Association collect donations and holds the ‘granddaddy’ of all yard sales.  This is their 36th annual sale and I knew there were treasures in there just waiting for me (and the hundreds of other people).

Once the doors opened the mob moved very quickly inside.

DSC_0067

Good to know some of Ontario’s finest were on hand  . . . just never know when a shopping riot will break out!

Seriously!

 

 

DSC_0068

 

The Special Event Centre offers up about 62,000 sq. ft. and it was packed. I was really impressed with the organization and layout.

 

DSC_0070

 

Several bake tables offering all kinds of goodies.

 

 

 

DSC_0072

Everything including Crafts & Household Items, Electronics, Books, Toys & Antiques.

Prices ranged from Free to $5.00 for most of the smaller items.

 

You could fill a huge bag of assorted used clothing for $5.00 or bid on larger items in the Silent Auction.

They held a sale on the Thursday evening prior to the Saturday sale of furniture and larger kitchen appliances.

Several came prepared with trailers and trucks to haul their findings home.

DSC_0115

DSC_0116

 

The friendly volunteers, and there must have been hundreds, were extremely helpful.

 

 

DSC_0117

The Girl Guides even got in on the act offering banana boxes with ropes for shoppers to tote their treasures around – for a donation.

Other commitments in my life kept me on the go all day but I did manage to make a second trip back. They reduce their prices drastically as the day wears on.

These are a few of the treasures that I brought home.

imageDSC_0003-1

 

 

 

 

 

A nestled set of 3 ceramic planters, a leafy terra-cotta planter, a squirrel-proof bird feeder & a water fountain. The ceramic hummingbird feeder was brand new & still in the box. Total for the above $10.50. I Love a bargain!

We had just recently found out that we now have a permanent site here at the park so next spring we can start decorating outside!

Today I’m grateful for all those people who donate their time and their cast-offs to such a worthy cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment